Vegan Chick Pea Salad - Sri Lankan Style
Nutritious, delicious and tastes and looks perfect in your coconut shell bowl with your coconut shell spoon.
- 1 cup dried chick peas
- 1 red onion, sliced finely
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil mixed with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- coconut flakes for garnish
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Sri Lankan curry leaves (available in the fresh herb section of your local supermarket)
- salt to taste
Cover the chick peas with two cups cold water and let them soak overnight or for 8 hours. Salt the water if desired.
Drain softened chick peas and add to a pan with 3 cups of fresh water. Cook on medium heat until the chick peas are soft but firm (not mushy). Drain in colander.
In the meantime heat coconut oil/vegetable oil mixture in a pan till very hot, and add mustard seeds. Let it fry for 1 minute. Lower heat to medium and add onion and curry leaves to pan. Cook until onion is soft, then add drained chick peas. Stir for 2 minutes until all ingredients are combined.
Put salad in your coconut bowl, sprinkle with coconut flakes and garnish with coriander leaves.
Dig in with your coconut shell spoon and enjoy!
Keep visiting our website for more recipes featuring the fruit of the Sri Lankan miracle tree.